About This Journal
Science Partner Journal BioDesign Research is an online-only Open Access journal published in affiliation with Nanjing Agricultural University (NAU) and distributed by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Like all partners participating in the Science Partner Journal program, BioDesign Research is editorially independent from the Science family of journals and NAU is responsible for all content published in the journal. To learn more about the Science Partner Journal program, visit the SPJ program homepage.
Should researchers be interested in submitting their work to BioDesign Research, we ask that they please first review the Information for Authors page.
BioDesign Research content is Open Access, publishing under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY) on a continuous basis. This means that content is freely available to all readers upon publication and content is published as soon as production is complete. Nanjing Agricultural University holds an exclusive license to the content, the author(s) hold copyright and retain the right to publish.
Mission and Scope
BioDesign Research is dedicated to information exchange in the interdisciplinary field of biosystems design. Its unique mission is to pave the way towards the predictable de novo design and assessment of engineered or reengineered living organisms using rational or automated methods to address global challenges in health, agriculture, and the environment.
The journal will publish high quality breakthrough research, reviews, editorials, and perspectives focusing on in silico biosystems design, genetic or epigenetic modification, and genome writing or rewriting in any organism. Topics will include but are not limited to:
- Genome writing and rewriting (gene and genome editing, synthetic viral and cellular genomes).
- Biological engineering at the level of chemical (e.g., unnatural nucleotides and amino acids), molecule (e.g., protein and RNA), pathway (e.g., metabolic, signaling and immunological pathways), tissue, organ (e.g., organoids), and organism (e.g., microbiome, plants, and animals).
- Methods/tools for biodesign (e.g., pathway/whole-cell/whole-organism modelling, machine-learning, automated design, and bioengineering using algorithm-directed in vivo evolution).
- Biodesign theory (e.g., control theory).
- Biodesign applications (e.g., gene therapy, cancer research, pharmaceuticals, biomaterials, biosensing, diagnostics, bioremediation, biofuels, carbon sequestration, crop domestication and breeding, biological computation, gene circuits, and minimal organisms).
DOI Prefix: 10.34133
If you are an author seeking information regarding editorial policies or if you have questions about submitting a manuscript, please first review the journal’s Publication Ethics and the Information for Authors page.