Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the scope of the journal Research?

Research publishes fundamental research in the life and physical sciences as well as important findings or issues in engineering and applied science. For more information, visit the Mission and Scope page.

What us the word limit for a submission?

For word limits and other guidelines based on article type, visit the Information for Authors page.

What kinds of content does the journal publish?

The journal publishes research articles, reviews, and editorials on a continuous basis. For more information, visit the Information for Authors page page.

How can I submit to the journal?

Submitting a manuscript is easy. Instructions on how to submit your research for publication in Research can be found on the Information for Authors page. The journal’s submission system can be found here.

If your manuscript is on bioRxiv, you can also directly transfer it to our submission system.

Is there a fee to submit or publish in the journal?

There is no submission fee. There is an article processing charge (APC) for accepted papers. However, from 2018-2020, all APCs will be paid by the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST). Authors whose work is accepted for publication in Research before January 1, 2021 will therefore not be responsible for paying APCs.

Is the journal open access?

Research is an open access (OA) journal, which means that articles can be read by anyone, anywhere and at anytime.

What kind of license or copyright policy does the journal use?

All Research content publishes under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). While the Science and Technology Review Publishing House holds an exclusive license to the content, the author(s) hold copyright and retain the right to publish.

What is Research’s digital archiving policy?

Research is archived in Portico, which provides permanent archiving for electronic scholarly journals, as well as via the LOCKSS initiative. Research operates a fully open access publishing model which allows open global access to its published content.

Where is Research indexed?

Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS)

Chinese National Knowledge Infrastructure (CNKI)

Chinese Science Citation Database (CSCD)

Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)

PubMed Central (PMC)


What is Research’s ISSN?

Research’s online ISSN is 2639-5274.

What is the relationship between Research and Science?

Research is part of the Science Partner Journal (SPJ) program. The program is run by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the nonprofit publisher of the Science family of journals. The SPJ program features high-quality, online-only open access publications produced in collaboration with international research institutions, foundations, funders and societies. While Research and Science share the same publisher and best practices they operate on separate submission and publication platforms and Research is editorially independent, run by the Science and Technology Review Publishing House, the publishing house under the leadership of the China Association for Science and Technology (CAST).

I have more questions!

Visit our Contact page for contact information to direct your query.